Breaking Through Barriers
Breaking Through Barriers (BTB) provides various workshops and enrichment experiences to equip underrepresented students with vital skills for their professional development.
Participation in the program is designed for all students. Graduate students are also welcome to join and take advantage of the opportunities the program has to offer. In the 2014- 2015 school year some of the events included:
- Workshops on personal brand, and internship applications presented by Google.
- Workshops on preparing for the Notre Dame career fair presented by Target and General mills
- Workshops on professional use of social media and resume writing presented by the Notre Dame career center
- Workshop on medical school applications presented by IU school of medicine
- Participation in the Association of Medical colleges' Minority career fair (for students interested in medical school)
- Participation in the Chicago Auto show (for engineering students)
- Ruth's Chris Etiquette Dinner.
- Service opportunities panel featuring Teach for America, City Year, Peace Corps, Alliance for Catholic education.
- and more.....
BTB also works with Kaplan to provide students with resources to study for graduate admissions tests such as the GRE, MCAT, and LSAT.
The program coordinator Ashley Lunford is also a resource for students. Individual meetings can be arranged by sending her an email. These meetings can be used to discuss professional development concerns such as:
- Getting your GPA above 3.0
- Finding the right time and place to study abroad
- Volunteering more in your community
- Preparing yourself for exams like the LSAT, MCAT, GRE and GMAT
- Performing well in mock interviews
- Resume and cover letter reviews
- Questions about professional development
- Internship or job search tips
- Connections to recruiters from specific companies
- Career discernment
- and more......
If you would like to schedule a meeting for any of those reasons or if you just want more information on Breaking Through Barriers simply email Ashley Lunford. BTB does not cost anything besides your time and energy. BTB is here to help you, so take advantage of all the opportunities that are available.